Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Twins, "day and night"

Day and Night, 2013, 12" x 16", monotype on Rives paper, Andrew Portwood copyright 2015

My Twins

It boils down to observation, emotion…and a visit from the “muse” for the flow of a makers or artists creativity . The ancient Greeks say the inspiration or “muse” will only visit your house if you are already busy trying…i.e…“god helps those who help themselves”…or the physical law: “An object in motion stays in motion” and Goethes famous truth …“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it“… all truisms indeed, one action leads to another action intuitively I think. The hard part is combining creative with the pragmatic actions necessary for a business.  “You have to put down the brush and build the bus that takes the art to the mart “..that’s my own quote !

My “twins” co-exist…or try to harmonize.

 My “Twins”,  one being creative, ..the other being pragmatic, are trying to get the job done …and I, or “we” admire the ultimate jugglers and multi-taskers out there because my “twins” can’t work in the same room together. They work separately, one at a time.  That’s the challenge right now.

Making the work is a process which I am familiar with…when it’s firing on all cylinders…it borders on euphoria. ..but the other…; inventory, marketing, cataloging, photographing the work, how is the best way to present this…thinking in a “physical problem solving practical mode“…efficiency?..,that  comes from another part of my brain. Don’t get me wrong… I am enjoying this…I’m in a good place trying to figure this out.  It resembles the life I had when I was a free-lancer….it’s entrepreneurial. I now have a home base to place my work and I , or “we” are learning new things everyday…