Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Black Horse, ghost impression 1, 11" x 14", monotype, Sold

Black Horse, ghost impression 1, 2011, 11" x 14", monotype , Sold
Here is another monotype, this one measures 11" x 14", and it is the second impression (called " the ghost" impression) pulled from the plate. I'm doing all of these with oil paint and using a piece of glass as the"plate". And, I don't have a press, so I am hand burnishing the paper onto the inked glass plate. I'm doing about one or two a day and pleased so far, I'm still experimenting with this process, which is challenging and fun. They have a simple, clean graphic quality and you can see the character of brushstroke in the impression, which is interesting..and there is always that element of surprise when you finally lift the print off of the plate. The next step is to embellish with a little pastel. One of my favorite artists and influences is the master Edgar Degas. His monotypes are amazing and inspiring! I'm going to check into accessing an etching press for a day, that way, the ink (or in this case oil paint) will ideally saturate into the recesses of the paper.