Sunday, February 19, 2023

Orange Whip

 

....Trying to paint more like I draw....that is, yes, the "automatic drawing"...more from the subconscious...relaxed....and then stop, and not over-work-it....keep it fresh. There was a time when I literally "drew" for a living....building all kinds of representational visuals for Ad campaigns...it put food on the table, I had a wife and two baby girls to feed and clothe. ...and I drew ,and I drew,...under pressure...on a drawing board (before Mac's)....No time to analyze.! What good practice for what would become my present artist self !  ....all the while building a "visual library of my own in my mind"...all of that personal visual language now comes out on canvas as "automatic drawing".

 Something akin to one's own unique handwriting...in a way (?)...or self taught riffs on a guitar (?)


 

Orange Whip, 48" x 48", acrylic paint on canvas, Andrew Portwood 2023

Orange Whip, 48" x 48", acrylic paint on canvas, Andrew Portwood 2023