Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Pink Sand

 

Pink Sand, work in progress, 40" x 40", Andrew Portwood, 2021

 An abstract landscape,..with beach color and abstract shapes, and pink sand...All in my mind that is....memories of the gulf coast and of course that one trip to the Bahamas - where they do have pink sand and snorkeling...which made quite an impression on me...I started this painting several weeks ago, then put it down and came back to it....I have to analyze it of course...but I realized that this is an "abstract memory postcard" from our Bahamas Trip...over 30 years ago...and that building on the right is the hotel where Howard Hughes lived at the end of his life...so the locals told us....because I remember standing knee deep in the surf and my feet sinking into that pink sand which is very fine like silt and looking up at that hotel. When I paint, I always chase this blurry/fragmented image/idea in my mind that eventually comes into focus...Then after I get to maybe a "finish", I can recognize and usually connect it to an actual event or story in my own life.....sometimes :)


#creativeprocess, #worksinprocess, #contemporaryartist , #contemporaryart, #contemporarypainting , #artistsatelier , #supportlivingartists,#worksinprogress, #artandinteriors, #andrewportwoodstudio